There are many reasons to create a container garden. Container gardening is a good way to dabble in gardening without throwing all your time into it. Some common reasons why people choose to start a container garden are:
- Outdoor space limitations.
- Physical limitations – can’t bend down or are wheelchair bound.
- Your patio or deck needs that extra something.
- You want fresh herbs in your kitchen for cooking.
- The soil in your yard is less than desirable.
- And the best reason … you have a pile of “treasures” you have collected at garages sales.
Almost anything that can hold soil can be used for container gardening. Just make sure you put drainage holes in the bottom to prevent soggy roots and rotting plants. The planter above is made from an old Chicken Feeder. It is sitting on an old sawhorse to give it more visibility in my garden.
Once you have your containers picked out, it’s time to choose what plants you want to put in them. Whether you’re planting vegetables or flowers, consider what the plant will do as it grows. Some plants are viney and will grow down the side of the pot so obviously taller containers are better for these.
Deciding on which flowers to plant is where a lot of people become overwhelmed. Start by looking at the… Continue reading