Terrariums are making a comeback. I remember making terrariums years ago using old jars and glass vases. You didn’t hear much about them for a couple of decades, but now they are back in a big way.
Terrariums are an easy way for people who live in apartments, or who just don’t really like gardening, to bring a bit of nature into their homes. And – they are really simple to care for.
Watch this quick video on how to make a terrarium. Terrariums are nothing new. According to the University of Missouri Extension Service, the use of transparent containers for growing plants dates back at least 2,500 years in Greece. Back then the process guaranteed a stable environment for growing food.
Today, terrariums are more likely to satisfy our artistic desire to bring some nature into our homes. Terrariums are easy to make and can be made using a variety of containers.
photo source: aperfectgray
Gather a group of terrariums and plants together to create a simple, yet elegant, vignette like the one below.
photo source: Sweet Peach
How to Make a Terrarium
- Containers – Terrarium containers should be made of clear material, such as plastic or glass. They should have a sealed lid, or a small opening to reduce evaporation. Make sure… Continue reading
There are many reasons to create a container garden. Container gardening is a good way to dabble in gardening without throwing all your time into it. Some common reasons why people choose to start a container garden are:
- Outdoor space limitations.
- Physical limitations – can’t bend down or are wheelchair bound.
- Your patio or deck needs that extra something.
- You want fresh herbs in your kitchen for cooking.
- The soil in your yard is less than desirable.
- And the best reason … you have a pile of “treasures” you have collected at garages sales.
Almost anything that can hold soil can be used for container gardening. Just make sure you put drainage holes in the bottom to prevent soggy roots and rotting plants. The planter above is made from an old Chicken Feeder. It is sitting on an old sawhorse to give it more visibility in my garden.
Once you have your containers picked out, it’s time to choose what plants you want to put in them. Whether you’re planting vegetables or flowers, consider what the plant will do as it grows. Some plants are viney and will grow down the side of the pot so obviously taller containers are better for these.
Deciding on which flowers to plant is where a lot of people become overwhelmed. Start by looking at the… Continue reading